History of Poros- Kefalonia

tzanata.jpg (14315 bytes)

Kefalonia was populated during the 10th millennium B.C. She was separated into four  autonomous democracies, the «Kefalonian Tetrapolis» (Sami, Krani, Palli and Pronnoi).
Pronnoi occupied the south-east part of the island. According to the historian Polivios, Poros  must have been the port of the city of Pronnoi, situated on the hill above the village which is  nowadays known as Pastra.

The acropolis of Pronnoi gave the impression that Poros exists  since the classical period. Yet, the recent discovery and excavation of a great vaulted tomb  of the Mycenaean period, which was found at the location Broutzi of Tzanata, indicates that the area was populated much earlier, since prehistoric times. The tomb is the greatest and  the best preserved of those found on the island. Its diameter is 6,80 meters and it is built on  a rocky clearing of a hill. Inside the tomb were found many burials which are dated from  1400 to 1000 B.C. This tomb signals the existence of a mighty Mycenaean center, probably  that of the Homerian Ithaka.  Poros, following the history of the island, had many conquerors: Romans, Franks,  Venetians, Italians, French, Russians, Turks and finally the British, until 1864 when Kefalonia was united with Greece. In  1821 Napier, the British Governor of the island, afraid that the area would become unpopulated, brought settlers from Malta.  This model agricultural settlement that he intended to create never succeeded.

Archaeological excavations are conducted at the "Drakena" cave of Poros by a party of the Palaeoanthropology-Speleology Committee. According to the finds of a recent discovery, the cave preserves trails of culture. Since the late of the 7th century B.C. and up to the early 2nd century B.C. , the cave had been used as a temple which -as it is proved by an epigraphic evidence- was devoted to the Nymphs. The finds of the cave during the historic times include the remains of sacrificial meals, a great number of drink and meal pots, statuettes and embossed tiles. The oldest usage of the cave goes back to the prehistoric times. Archaeological finds and radio-dating methods certify that human beings lived there since 5.700 B.C. and up to 2.300 B.C. The finds concerning this period include successive layers of floors, remains of food-making, heating and lighting places, food remains, many pot shards, many tools (such as blades and arrow-heads) and several toilet articles, such as stone and sheel beads as well as bracelets parts from a shell fished on the North Aegean.

back