Personal Web Page of
Emilios Dimitriou (Automation Expert)
This is a presentation of the professional activities of Emilios Dimitriou (alternative spelling; Emilios Demetriou, in Greek; Αιμίλιος Δημητρίου)
Born in Cyprus, on 1952. Cypriot citizen.
1965-71 Lanitio Gymnasium of Limassol, Cyprus
1971-73 Military Service
Married with two children (a daughter and a son)
Greek (Native Language)
Good English (GCE O level, 1971)
Some French (enough to understand written technical instructions)
Mechanical & Electrical Engineer. Member of TEE (Technical Chamber of Greece)
Electronic mail address
Web address (this page)
CPW sa Process Conveyor of TCP100 revamping (individual drives addition)
CPW sa Slitting line revamping (replacement of drives and addition of PLC and SCADA)
CPW sa General electrical support to minimize downtime, improve productivity and quality. Installation of SCADA (a combination of Siemens WinCC and iba). The target is to record "everything" at the PLCs scan times.
ELVAL COLOUR sa Addition of PLC and SCADA in Painting line 3 and electrical drives for Vaseline application system.
VIOMAL sa Electrical and electronic equipment for the new Line No 3 for window spacers
Panelco sa General electrical support.
5/12/78-23/6/97 Employee of ELVAL SA
ELVAL SA produced annually about 100.000 tons of rolled products (foil, canstock, strips ,sheets).It employed around 650 people Initially I was employed as an Electronic Engineer to supervise and assist a team of 5 technicians for troubleshooting on a 24 hours base In 1982, I undertook responsibility for the Electrical department as well (another 10 technicians). In 1991 all the maintenance department was put under my supervision (8 engineers,10 foremen,80 technicians) After 1993 I was involved also in project management. I was personally involved in designing, drafting, PLC software development commissioning and starting up most of the electrical systems installed the last decade of my work at ELVAL in either new installations or revamping of the existing ones Worth mentioning is the New Hot Mill (1992), the revamping of the Bliss Cold mill ,IHI No 1 cold mill Spidem and Loewy Foil mills .All the previous revamps involved replacement of DC Drives (from MG sets to thyristor drives)and PLC installation. We were buying "loose components" usually from SIEMENS and applying them ourselves .In AGC revamps and flatness control systems I was interfacing to the main contractor (Achenbach, IHI, ASEA and DAVY) I have worked with System II and System 21 of DAVY, with Simatic and Allen Bradley PLC's, SIEMENS Simoreg, Reliance, ABB PAD DC drives with a variety of AC inverters, Accuray gauges, Eberline X-ray gauges, with a variety of temperature control systems etc.I am very familiar with the rolling process .I was personally responsible for delivering a "working system" to the production team after every revamp or new installation.
1997-98 KVAERNER metals
CLECIM (now Siemens-VAI), as AGC and AFC expert. I helped the successful
start up of the foil mill No 3 of XIASHUN Aluminium at
2. 1998 EVIEP sa (now ELVAL colour sa) (sister company of my former full time employer), as the electrical-electronic expert, I designed and started up the electrical equipment of the new paint line No 4.
4. 2001-2002 EVIEP sa (now ELVAL colour sa) Electronic expert for the revamp of paint Line No 1.
5. 2002-2003 EVIEP sa (now ELVAL colour sa) Line No. 2 transformation from medium thickness aluminium chemical line treatment to combined aluminium foil chemical treatment and paint line. Electrical contractor for a turn key project. New 20 KV substation, new electrical drives, new PLC, new MMI.(Design, build, install, software development, start up). Electronic equipment is from SIEMENS (S7-300, S7-400, Profibus, Micromaster ac inverters, Simoreg dc converters).
6. 2002-2003 PANELCO sa steel sandwich new panels line Software development and electrical engineering support for the completion and the start up of the system. Equipment is from Allen Bradley (Rockwell automation) (ControlLogix PLC, 1788 2-Axis Controllers, 1526AB servo motors, 1394 Servo drives, 1336 Impact and PowerFlex 70 ac inverters, controlnet, devicenet, 550 Panelview, RSview 32)
7. 2003-2006 CPW sa Addition of SCADA (WinCC and iba) in various parts of Thisvi plant. Replacement of 5 Siemens Simatic S5 PLCs with S7.
8. 2006-now See current projects
As part of my responsibility for the selection or inspection of equipment or familiarisation-training with already bought one, as an empoyee of ELVAL SA, I visited several aluminium plants(SKY-SHOWA-SUMITOMO in Japan, VAW-ALUSINGEN in Germany, SLIM in Italy, ALCAN-ALCOA in Brazil, ALCAN-STAR in Great Britain, HUNGALU in Hungary, Finnspong in Sweden, Hoogovens in Holland, Reynolds in USA).I also visited the offices and/or manufacturing facilities of IHI, TOSHIBA in Japan, DAVY, VAI, Eberline in G.Britain, Tippins, HerrVoss, Accuray in USA ABB in Switzerland and several other smaller suppliers around the world .I participated in a number of seminars .I was traveling 3 to 5 times a year 3 to 15 days each time
Recently I visited SMS-Elotherm, ELMATECH, GLOBUS, Dallan, CMZ
More Details on my projects: For the interested reader, this link leads to tables with more details.
Last Revised: 12 Apr 2007